by Christie Shumate McElwee
CeCe’s Musings: A Resurrection of My First Blog Title
Random thoughts on Day 13 of social distancing, social isolation, quarantining, helping to flatten the damn curve, living moment to moment, still trying to figure out Zoom, and drinking all the wine.
- A sunny day makes all the difference. Rain…not so much.
- Coffee and wine have saved my life.
- After reading Stephen King’s The Stand, I’ve decided real news is scarier. Take that, King of Horror.
- Have I mentioned wine?
- Sitting on my porch swing yesterday, I had lovely conversations with two of our neighbors. Finally after three years of living here, I learned one of them is a physician’s assistant and the other has three cats. Still don’t remember one of their names, but we have time. Lots of time.
- Videos of penguins walking around zoos are everything.
- Grateful I like who I’m sequestered with during this time. Ever so grateful.
- Trevor Noah’s sofa, Jimmy Fallon’s daughters.
- Have I mentioned sun?
- Pondering cleaning out the freezer and under the sink. Pondering does not equal doing. I’m just saying…
- Sitting with the blues when they come over me. Giving myself permission to be sad, stay in my pjs, and watch endless episodes of Gilmore Girls.
- Grateful for my soul sister girlfriends. Our text threads has been both sincerely vulnerable and freaking hilarious.
- Why can’t we all have FaceTime? Why can’t our phones just get along?
- Walking outside is weird as we all do that crazy “don’t you get near me” dance.
- Construction of a new house is still going on across the street, and I’ve discovered I don’t mind all of the noise. The constant hammering calms me. And the workers seem to be social distancing in the midst of the build. Kudos, boys. Kudos.
- I had cereal this morning. I haven’t had a bowl of cereal in ages and it was delicious. Yup, that’s my life right now: expounding the delights of cereal.
- Rationing toilet paper is literally a pain in the ass, and I am not one to aimlessly use that word “literally.”
- Trying not to go down the internet rabbit hole. Emphasizing “trying.” Not totally successful yet.
- Who else is recharging their phones at least once or twice a day? Asking for a friend.
- I am finding strength every day in the simple things: a former student helping out my mom, hearing my husband’s voice as he works from our basement, talking with my sons, and trading Lysoled (it is now officially an adjective) puzzles with a neighbor.
- Never never never forget to love.
“The world is violent and mercurial – it will have its way with you. We are saved only by love – love for each other and the love that we pour into the art we feel compelled to share: being a parent; being a writer; being a painter; being a friend. We live in a perpetually burning building, and what we must save from it, all the time, is love.” – Tennessee Williams, who was born on this day, March 26, 1911.